While classes have started, school work and activities generally don’t really take off until after Labor Day. So you’ve still got time to get your kids to our Oklahoma City, OK dentist office for their dental exams before your schedule goes from busy to completely crazy.
Call Dental Images of Oklahoma City at 405-395-2283 to make an appointment. If you’d like to bring in more than one child for an exam, let us know and we’ll do our best to accommodate you with back-to-back appointments.
Your Child’s Dental Exam Is Important
Did you know that dental problems can lead to problems in school? Research has shown that kids experiencing pain caused by conditions like cavities have more school absences than those in better dental health. Whether or not it’s connected to missing school, children with dental pain were also more likely to have lower grade point averages, according to a study conducted in Los Angeles.
We recommend visiting us every six months for dental exams. During exams, we’ll clean the plaque and tartar from your children’s teeth. Even if they brush and floss regularly, they’re probably missing areas where tartar forms. Our cleanings not only keep their teeth looking great, they help protect them from cavities and gum disease. Dr. Kevin Layton may also suggest applying fluoride and/or dental sealants for added protection against cavities.
If we find any cavities, Dr. Layton repairs them with a filling. Our fillings are made of tooth-colored composite, not metal. Your kids won’t feel self-conscious about silver spots in their smile, because composite fillings won’t show.
Dr. Layton also checks the development of your child’s teeth to ensure their bite is healthy and well aligned. If he finds any alignment issues, he may recommend orthodontic treatment. We offer both traditional braces and Invisalign, which uses a system of clear plastic aligners instead of metal wires and brackets to straighten teeth.
5 Tips for a Great Child’s Dental Exam
In addition to scheduling exams twice a year, there are lots of other things you can do to ensure your child’s dental exam goes well. Here are some of our favorite tips.
- Timing is important. Bring your children in at a time of day when they are rested and generally in a good mood. If your child is exhausted after school, bring them before school instead. If your child is cranky every morning, book an afternoon appointment.
- Check your own anxiety. If you feel anxious at the dentist, don’t convey that to your kids. Stay as positive as possible, and be careful what you say. For example, avoid saying a filling “will only hurt a little.” If you’re really anxious, get a more relaxed friend or family member to take your child for an exam.
- Feed your child first. To help avoid crankiness, feed your child a light meal or hearty snack before their appointment. If they can brush after eating, great. But don’t worry too much about it. If possible, have them rinse out their mouth.
- Pay attention to sibling dynamics. If your youngest looks up to an older sibling, try to bring them together so big brother or sister can be a positive role model. But if your children squabble every time they are together, schedule separate visits.
- Give them something to focus on. If your child gets bored or restless, you can let them entertain themselves online using our free WiFi. We also have TVs in every care room.
Ready to schedule your child’s dental exam? Call Dental Images of Oklahoma City at 405-395-2283.